Please don’t let the title discourage you! For those of you like me, I’m not a huge cottage cheese eater, but these are some of the tastiest pancakes I’ve ever had! This super simple recipe uses only a few ingredients, but is packed with protein that will keep you feeling satiated throughout your morning and is a big help towards hitting those daily macronutrient goals. Plus it tastes so great you would never even guess there was cottage cheese included!
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup of 2% cottage cheese small curd
- 2/3 cup of oat flour (or blended oatmeal)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of cinnamon – this is optional but I highly recommend
- coconut oil cooking spray
- fresh berries or fruit of your choice
- raw honey, agave syrup, or low- calorie syrup
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together.
NOTE: This is where I diverge from the original recipe just a little bit, making some adjustments for my specific goals. I also add 2 scoops of whey protein powder to the dry ingredients. Even without the protein powder this has a lot of protein naturally (clocking in at about 26g per serving) so this is totally optional, but I get my protein in at every chance I get.
- Add cottage cheese to dry mixture and mix with a spatula.
- Pour in the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with the coconut spray and set to medium-high heat.
- Once the skillet has reached temperature, scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture for each pancake. Cook for about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Top with your choice of fruit and syrup. Deliciousness!
Nutritional Macros (2-3 pancakes depending on size): 292 calories, 34g of protein, 28g of carbs, 7g of fat, 4g of fiber, 2g of sugar